[permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Thu Jul 4 19:46:38 EDT 2013

Oh wow, this is exactly the kind of "horizontal hostility" (a/k/a the
"circular firing squad") that they condemn in their book.  Ideology can
be a fine thing and can have some uses, especially in organizing
political resistence, but all ideologies are human constructs so however
perfect their creators believe they are, they will always fall short as
a full description of reality.  Just as the map is not the territory, an
ideology is not a description of reality.  It might be considered an
attempt at a description, but the risk is that an ideology will take on
a life of its own.  Instead of facilitating  a wholistic/whole systems
approach, it may degenerate into one or more religious or political
sects firing "more pure than thou" missiles at others, while reserving
special venom -- horizontal hostility! --  for any and all heretics.

I think one reason the permaculture movement has escaped this fate is
that thus far, we have resisted the urge to recognize a permaculture
"pope" and set up centralized systems of control and authority over our
activities.  Yeah, lots of people criticize us for this, but when I look
at the fate of other movements, I remain grateful for our rhizome and
stolon approach.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle