[permaculture] Drylands water capture question

Lisa Rollens rollens at fidnet.com
Fri Apr 26 11:56:20 EDT 2013

Koreen,  Have you thought about mulberries up there on the rez?  They have a high protein leaf that all animals seem to love.  It can and has been dried as a fodder crop for centuries, by pollarding.  Here, in MO, the bullseye of last years extreme drought, I cut mulberry trees to feed to my cows.  By the middle of May most people were feeding hay, and that went on until August.  Pastures were totally brown, but the mulberry trees were in great shape.  As a matter of fact, I am going to plant some thickly, in rows, in a pasture, to pollard and dry the cuttings each year.  Hay was horrendously expensive and poor quality, to boot.  Up there you need a wind break, and I bet with some thought, you could do pollarding and windbreak with the same trees....pollard every other tree or row, or year....  Could be interesting.

The future is going to be different from the past in agriculture.  It never worked in an environmentally conscious way, but now, even the poor practices of the past aren't working!

Lisa, in the MO Ozarks