[permaculture] Drylands water capture question

Andrew Millison amillison at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 00:43:38 EDT 2013

Koreen,
I noticed on the Navajo and Hopi lands, very harsh high desert with extreme
wind, the only deciduous tree that grew in extremely degraded areas is the
Siberian Elm. I'd stare in wonder as I passed by abandoned rest stops or
burnt out homes at how the ugly elm with it's dead lower limbs and
sandblasted understory persisted.

There are not a lot of fans of this tree out there, but I have recommended
planting it on the windswept Colorado Plateau because of it's usefulness as
firewood and coppice abilities. Many people drive up in the hills to cut
Juniper, when they could have multiple windbreaks of Ulmus pumila cut on
multi-year rotation for fuel near their homes. It's not an exceptional
firewood, but it's decent, I've burned it plenty. You can plant from the
prolific seed, just rake them into a swale and they will germinate with
abundance. Of course the seed will blow into gardens and act as a weed in
cultivated areas. But windbreaks of Siberian Elm spaced out every 50 feet
will alter the microclimate to get more valuable trees established.

Good luck!
Andrew

Andrew Millison
(541) 752-9118