[permaculture] Drylands water capture question

Jason Gerhardt jasongerhardt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:46:47 EDT 2013

I thought I might throw you off with that passionflower remark. We have it
in a greenhouse year round. It is the slightly hardy *Passiflora caerulea*.
Makes no fruit worth eating, but thousands of flowers every year. I assign
a student everyday to go in the greenhouse and harvest and set to dry the
days crop (each flower lasts roughly one day only; at peak bloom we get up
to 40 per day). It is one of the highest paying herbs to grow, aside from
wildcrafted stuff and reishi mushroom.

I do have *P. incarnata* outside here, but I just let those make fruits for
juice.

Have you planted nanking cherry up at Pine Ridge? These make great
windbreaks and decent fruit. A student of mine turned last years harvest
into a Nanking wine, and wow! Probably the best non-grape fruit wine I've
ever tasted.

--
Jason Gerhardt

PO Box 4355