[permaculture] help Eric Toensmeier write his new book

christopher nesbitt christopher.nesbitt at mmrfbz.org
Sat Apr 13 11:57:10 EDT 2013

Eric,

This sounds like a great project!

If you have time, come visit us. We are working on a manual for farmers on turning damaged land into stacked polycultures. Our farm was an abandoned citrus and cattle farm in 1988, and we now manage over 500 species of plants on 22 acres (out of 70), and are expanding. We have been doing this for the last 24 years.

We used a series of plants, pioneer species, cover crops, annuals with long term species interplanted. We get yields within 4 months and then in perpetuity. Part of the farm take very little work to maintain, and provide a LOT of goods and services.

Right now we are consolidating a lot of the farm by using the understory we have created to plant out rare cultivars of cacao we found deep in the Maya Mountains at Maya sites. These are relic Maya cultigens left behind after their collapse.

There is a lot going on here, so if you have questions, please feel free to ask them.

Best wishes,

Christopher

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm