[permaculture] "The Nature of the Future: Dispatches from the Socialstructed World." by Marina Gorbis - Putting the Social Back Into Our Economy - Social Capital

Douglas Hinds cedecor at gmx.net
Wed Apr 10 00:13:16 EDT 2013

Lawrence, we've known each other a long time, and I'm glad you put so
much time and effort into making relevant information to people via your
ibiblio lists, but I really think you ought to read what you post more
thoroughly.

A new and steadily growing industry has emerged around ostensibly
"helping" community efforts obtain increased outreach and funding, and
this appears to be one of them.

And before you publicly tell me "Ho', Loota Hype" again, I strongly
suggest you examine what I'm going to say in depth.

That said, the Institute for the Future, iftf.org is located in Silicon
Valley. /"Valley/ refers to the Santa Clara Valley
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_Valley>, located at the
southern end of San Francisco Bay
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay>, while /Silicon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon>/ refers to the high concentration
of companies involved in the making of semiconductors
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductors> (silicon is used to create
most semiconductors commercially) and computer
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer> industries that were
concentrated in the area. These firms slowly replaced the orchards
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchard> and related agriculture and food
production companies which gave the area its initial nickname, the
Valley of Heart's Delight."

Get that?  No more orchards! No more food production!  But that's not all:

http://www.iftf.org/iftf-you/programs/global-food-outlook/

    In 2013, IFTF’s Global Food Outlook program will undertake a
    year-long exploration into the ways that emerging technologies and
    sciences are reshaping the global food web. Along the way, we’ll ask
    questions like: How will we as individuals, communities, and
    organizations be challenged or empowered by applying new
    technologies to the global food web? What technologies will help us
    grow and distribute food throughout the world, safely and
    sustainably? How will technologies help us strike a more optimal
    balance between the microbes that help us and those that harm us?
    How will innovations in consumer technologies shift what we want and
    value in our food?

    We’ll map out the critical technologies shaping the agriculture,
    food distribution, and retail – with particular emphasis on food
    safety, sociality, and governance. We’ll also develop a set of
    consumer perspectives highlighting what these technological shifts
    mean for what people value about food and what they choose to buy
    and eat.

    The year will be structured around a set of workshops, virtual
    exchanges and research deliverables with a focus on imagining tools
    to improve the resilience of the global food web.

IFTF is a TECHNOLOGY company and they intend to apply technology to the
Global Food Web.  Not local, not grow your own, not CSA's or Farmer's
Markets, but industrialized, corporate food from Chile and China, sold
through super-markets.  They support the food biznez, not natural food:

The following is from page 40 of their document:
http://www.iftf.org/uploads/media/SR-1429B_IFTF_GFO_Food_Choices__Scenarios.pdf

(Transformation In North America:  Chasing Variety, Enhancing Performance):

whichfoodis eatenin North America expandsdramatically.Amongthosewho
embrace syntheticandcustom-producedfoods,
thepossibilitiesaboundforperformance-enhancing
offerings,wildcombinationsofflavors, and immediategratification.

blursthelinebetweengroceriesandready- made
foods.Retailersleasebrandsandformulations frommanufacturers,butin
theburgeoningopen designspace,in-housespecialtiesandhousebrands proliferate.

allsortsofbrandedfoods,includingsnacks,drinks,
andwholemeals.Themoreadvancedunitsandthe high-endpersonal
modelssyncwithpersonal sensor
dataforfine-tunedgastronomy.“Epigeneticdiet” foodsandpillsarein fashion,
combiningpersonal geneticinsight,localvariation,
environmentalconsciousness, andextremepersonalization.

sonalizedandreusablecontainers,theabundance offoodresults in
amentalitythatdoesn’tmindfood

waste.Obesityanddiet-relatedhealthproblemsgrow in
thispetridishofabundantchoice,butthereare

alsoformulationstocounteractit.

significanceandelicitsadmirationwhen
it’spracticed.Agriculturaltourismtoold-stylefarms booms
asthesesettingsbecomeanevenquainter curiosity. Biochemistryis
taughtatadvancedlevelsin grade schools,andunderstandingone’spersonal
geneticneedsis somethingthatmany children take forgranted.

Douglas