[permaculture] Natural hydroponics, aquatic foodweb & quality food

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 8 03:59:17 EDT 2013

On 4/7/2013 3:35 PM, Jason Gerhardt wrote:
> I agree with Toby, though I admit to not loving aquaponics and especially
> hydroponics. Those who don't like these systems can focus instead on
> building soils and food forests with tight cycling using a plethora of
> nutrient accumulators and huge diversity of plants. Then when we need these
> systems, they will have been refined beyond comfrey growing under fruit
> trees and N-fixers.

That is the best plan but some people need to use hydroponics and
aquaponics because they lack land to garden or farm and need to grow
some of their own food to be better nourished and live as healthy a life
as possible within the limits of their circumstances.

> The interesting argument here seems to be whether aqua/hyrdro-ponics should
> be called permaculture. I have a pretty simple solution that I hope we are
> all teaching and learning more about. Permaculture is a form of ecological
> DESIGN, not a basket of techniques. My food forest, greenhouse, home, local
> currency, etc. aren't permaculture any more than anything else. My design
> thinking is permaculture. From this perspective we find that 'everything is
> appropriate somewhere, not everywhere.' What helps us make these placement
> and relational decisions, is Permaculture Design.

This is a classic and remarkable statement and should be included in PDC
literature in one form or another.

LL