[permaculture] Ho' lotta hype...Top Secret Water

John D'hondt dhondt at eircom.net
Sun Apr 7 17:07:28 EDT 2013

You may very well be right Lawrence but could I make a general remark
please.
The argument you use against Glen Atkinson is what they call "ad hominem"
and is terefore against the rules of any discussion build on logical
argument.
You can have a mass murdering serial pedophyle but maybe he knows something
about something that you don't know and maybe he is right on this point. If
we want to learn something and have a sensible discussion about the point in
question we should not discard whatever a person has to say just because you
feel he is a bad person. You may be right that he is a fascist pig but that
does not mean that he does not know his stuff or has anything to say that
others could benefit from.

Thing is that this "ad hominem" argument is very popular these days and used
by all sides. Also against you and me. There are quite a few people who
think that permaculturists are close to terrorists and they are therefore
not going to listen to anything any of us has to say.

In the Middle Ages before you could start at a European University you got a
year long grinding in the rules of logic discussion. We have made a huge
step backwards since those days in logical discussions and that is not a
good thing. And it is most often used by TPTB.

And before you ask, If I had been in Argentine during the dirty war I would
have had a serious chance of getting killed myself. Does not mean that you
have to be less critical if I say something about something else.

John