[permaculture] oxygenation of water

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 7 00:06:42 EDT 2013

On 4/6/2013 10:11 PM, Douglas Hinds wrote:

> Wikipedia defines hydroponics as follows:
>
>      *Hydroponics* is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing
>      plants <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant> using mineral nutrient
>      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient> solutions, in water, without
>      soil <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil>. Terrestrial plants may be
>      grown with their roots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root> in the
>      mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium,
>

> Which the way I understand hydroponics:  There's no soil, no
> soil-food-web, no soil biology - it's not even agriculture (much less
> permaculture), which helps explain why I become distempered if I eat
> even a little (something which I would not knowingly do).
>
> Distempered in the sense that steel can lose it's temper.  I notice this
> phenomena in 1973, living somewhere hydroponic tomatoes (and not much
> else) were available.  Loss of focus and momentum, drive, dynamism,
> orientation - no wonder your grandchildren won't eat them.
>
> It's an anti-biological, anti-evolutionary technology.

Ho' lotta hype. We have been through this already, in the list, with
significant input. Yes to hydroponics and soil foodweb, natural
nutrients, aeration, compost tea,, etc etc etc.
Ask Toby about this and sort through the archives for the thread on
aquaponics and hydroponics within the past 8 months.