[permaculture] help Eric Toensmeier write his new book

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 5 21:57:12 EDT 2013

On 4/5/2013 5:34 PM, Eric Toensmeier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm writing a book about the potential for perennial crops and regenerative
> farming practices to sequester carbon, plus provide other multiple
> functions of course!
>
> You can pre-buy a copy or otherwise contribute through the kickstarter
> campaign<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115575313/writing-toolkit-for-climate-stabilization-with-tre>,
> or just pass it along to your friends.
>
> To save the planet we may need to turn it into an edible paradise... help
> me write the book that explains how and why.
>
> Eric

Wonderful! I will start saving up to buy a copy when it is published; I
assume around $40. This is a much needed book. It would particularly
apply to most of North Carolina which has soils that alternate between
sandy, clay loam and silt loam and some very marginal impermeable clay
and rocky clay. Forest gardens as industrial landscapes, in residential
landscapes and as components of permaculture systems on farms, large and
small would help restore and build wildlife habitat, conserve moisture
(rainwater sink), provide food crops, perennial, orchard and annual.

Thumbs up for milkweed. It grows like a weed if left to naturalize
without mowing. Here's a video I made of bumblebees foraging on milkweed
blooms; they are really going at it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103323666932740258290/albums/5683968697507707649/5683968699214256914?authkey=CMewwar5hoaqRg
OR:
https://plus.google.com/photos/103323666932740258290/albums/5683968697507707649/5683968699214256914

What about vines? Campsis radicans or trumpet vine is a beautiful
landscape feature and is not difficult to control. Insects of all sizes
seem to use it as a food source so it would have a niche in a
permaculture design. Here are videos of this plant:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jgEHheI-erA/TuGDbBGZuaI/AAAAAAAABgM/y-THoYGXu0g/w78-h78-p-o/Plants-colorfull-tf.flv

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JGFcU6zGm7A/TuGDavqkByI/AAAAAAAABgg/cdwiP5Eo0sg/w78-h78-p-o/Plants-long-bbg.flv

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VLs-K6iKVO8/TuGG7eDDO7I/AAAAAAAABg8/X5T-KaAw9Gc/w78-h78-p-o/Plants-short-art-TF.flv

You can see ants and other small insects racing around on the blooms.

LL