[permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"

David Muhl dmuhl65 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 18:29:12 EDT 2012

Hey Chris,

I'm certainly not a bamboo expert, but my understanding is that most bamboo is propagated by division (rhizomes).  In the past, I've taken bamboo that has grown a full season in, say, a 5 or 15 gallon container, then quartered it in the spring once temperatures are favorable.  You could conceivably get even more (but smaller ones) by growing out individual rhizome buds.  There could be quite a few if you're digging up a field grow specimen.  Then you could start these in gallon containers or something about that size.

Since bamboos (doesn't matter what species) rarely flower (maybe once in a person's lifetime), and the same species will flower worldwide all within a 2-3 year window, the odds of finding legitimate seed (what you're looking for) are slim.  If anyone else knows otherwise, I'd like to find out also!  Even if you do find some, I understand that when you grow them out, there is quite a bit of variability in their appearance (nothing like the parent plant).  There are also restrictions on the importation of bamboo into the US (not sure why).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

~Dave