[permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"

Evan kodama at riseup.net
Wed Mar 14 17:20:06 EDT 2012

Since Bamboo rarely sets seed, and when it does it's usually followed by the death of the stand, I doubt anyone gets a consistent seed crop of bamboo. That said, I think last year horizon herbs had some bamboo seed, perhaps they still have some in stock...

I imagine the best way to get the bamboo cart rolling is to search your area for stands and dig up new shoots or buy (expensive) nursery stock and start a stand from which you can propagate new shoots after a couple of years. It wouldn't surprise me if some botanical garden down there had a bamboo collection.

Best,
Evan