[permaculture] Exploding the myth of patents and copyright

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Mar 6 14:36:51 EST 2012

I have issues with the expansion of copyright and patents to unreasonable levels, but Falkvinge's article is a very selective picture that ignores a mountain of contrary evidence. He makes unsupported and false statements such as, Germany's engineers were superior to British, when Germany didn't industrialize until a century after Britain and added far fewer innovations to the industrial age; there are good data on that. Britain had far more engineers and inventors per capita than Germany. It was the British who trained the Germans, and it was the Prussian school system, not free enterprise, that churned out German engineers.The story about Edison is a slanted, too. As the inventor of a particular camera and process, he enforced his monopoly for about 4 years. Then he licensed it to a large number of film makers (the MPPC), and that lasted another 4 years or so, and it's generally agreed that the quality of US movies improved greatly in this time. The MPPC was broken up in 1915 when courts ruled that it had abused the patent system. So let's not blame patents when the problem here was greed and lawbreaking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Patents_Company has a good summary of this. And Falkvinge's statement that "todays' giants were founded in [patent's] absence" is just nonsense. Google is hardly open source; Microsoft used IBM's patent monopoly, the oil, auto, plane, and rail industries used patents, and let's not even start on Monsanto.

I recommend, as a very readable and fascinating antidote to Falkvinge's article, a book that uses good scholarship instead of selective data, called "The Most Powerful Idea in the World" by William Rosen. Rosen carefully documents that although the conditions for the industrial revolution existed in much of Europe and Asia, it occurred in Britain because the patent system encouraged innovators and rewarded them, while limiting the patent monopoly so others could build on the ideas. Innovation lagged elsewhere because good ideas were so quickly stolen that no inventor or developer could earn enough money to make the investment needed to create, say, a locomotive or textile mill. In the rest of Europe, artisans remained in their cottages while in Britain, they built factories. (Let's set aside the social problems of the Industrial Era, since we're talking about innovation).

Cool factoid from Rosen's book: patent and copyright terms were set to their original 14-year length because apprenticeships were 7 years long, and this allowed two generations of craftspeople to have new ideas instilled by their creators, insuring that the ideas would be widespread. Monopoly was always balanced with spread of ideas, and it financed their spread.

Open source exists today in large part because the patent and copyright system allowed the creation of expensive infrastructure that could publish and manufacture things cheaply. Most of the open-source designers I know have incomes that are based on the legal protection of innovation. It's the same kind of irony as hearing "free trade" arguments being made in nations that benefitted the most from protectionism, like UK and US. Now it's time to move beyond the outdated copyright and patent system, but let's be honest and remember that it got us where we are, technologically, instead of claiming falsely that it hindered innovation. The problem is corporate control of ideas and the legal system, not patents and copyrights.

Rosen's book is a great read for anyone interested in innovation or the history of the machine age.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com