[permaculture] Fruit Tree Grafting Workshop, Johnson, VT, March 17

Keith Morris earthsurfing at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 22:29:20 EST 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing this with your networks and potentially interested friends.  Feel free to join us and stay the night if you're coming from outside the area-  or join us for another workshop later this summer when the camping's more comfortable!

I also wanted mention that the farm-based residential design course we're running July 15-27 this summer with Mark Krawczyk, Lisa DePiano, Andrew Faust, Alissa White, and Skotty Kellogg is filly pretty quickly- please let us know if you're considering a space or planning to send a friend.

Fruit Tree Grafting and Propagation:

March 17, 2012  10 am - 4 pm
Willow Crossing Farm, Johnson, VT

Join us for a day of hands-on fruit tree grafting. We'll begin the day in the classroom understanding the science of grafting, and bench grafting apples, plums, and other stone fruits. After a farm-sourced lunch, we'll go out and 'top work' multiple varieties onto pears, apples, plums, and other stone fruit. We'll also discuss some pruning basics, and different grafting strategies for 'fruit salad trees', healing damaged trees, reworking new varieties, revitalizing old orchards, enhancing cross-pollination, and space considerations.

We'll also explore the incredible history of grafting, the range of grafting possibilities, and practice with professional grafting tools which make for more successful grafts by novices and experts alike.

Each attendant will leave with an apple variety of their choosing on semi-dwarf or standard rootstock, or a stone fruit variety of their choosing on native american plum rootstock.

$25-100 sliding scale includes light lunch, cider, and your own grafted fruit tree to take home. No one will be refused for lack of funds.

Details about a St. Patricks Day dinner, drinks, and live traditional music to follow the event will be announced soon.

We'll also be offering this event again in April.

Please RSVP here or register at:

www.prospectrock.org

Zach Leonard is a master horticulturalist and as been the farm manager of Elmore Roots Nursery for more than a decade.  He and his family have created High Hopes Farm, a diverse off-grid homestead.
Keith Morris has been collecting and experimenting with rare fruits, nuts, and medicinal plants since 1996, and is professor of ecological design at the University of Vermont.  He's slowly built his family's farm debt-free with sweat-equity and has worked creating resilient and diverse food systems on 5 continents.

Best,
Keith

________________________________
Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
[www.ProspectRock.org]
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith at ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129

"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)