[permaculture] (Sub)urban Permaculture Elements

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon May 30 21:02:21 EDT 2011

This is an interesting list and article at the link.  The main thing I would
add is more attention to the invisible structures. The way most cities and
suburbs are constituted these days, a lot on that list would be illegal.
Cities and their suburbs are full of traps like the one our Oklahoma City
code enforcement just sprang on me which caused me to have to cut down five
mature fruit trees, two of which were in full bloom when felled.

One of the biggest invisible structure issues with the suburbs is the
mandated single family occupancy neighborhood. In such places,
duplexes/triplexes, four-plexes are illegal, as are garage, attic, backyard
and basement apartments. In general it is also illegal to operate a business
in a suburban neighborhood.

I think that suburbs have a lot of potential, because of the lowered density
of the settlement.  So there's lots of green space with food production
potential, and also room to increase the population density without
overpowering the food production capability -- IF the single family
occupancy zoning designation is relegated to the dust bin of history.  One
of the best apartments I ever had was in an old house which had been carved
into five small apartments. It was perfect for me at the time, one room with
a bath and kitchen attached, complete with a murphy bed that disappeared
into the wall during the day.

I've always felt that as we reverse-engineer large cities and their suburbs
to be more sustainable, what we end up with is a pattern of regional centers
connected with transit options, each regional hub the center of several
smaller village hubs, each in turn surrounded by neighborhoods of mixed use
and varying density. Overall, the effect is a greater complexification and
diversification of a territory.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City