[permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Mon May 16 13:04:51 EDT 2011

On Monday, May 16, 2011 11:51:07 am Bellows,Wendi Lynn wrote:
> filamentous macroalgae florida

http://publicfiles.dep.state.fl.us/dear/everglades/Wakulla%20Springs/Ecol%20Conditions%20of%20Algae%20%26%20Nutrients%20in%20FL%20Spgs%20-%20J%20Stevenson%206-04.pdf

ECOLOGICAL CONDITION OF ALGAE AND NUTRIENTS IN FLORIDA
SPRINGS

The article above covers what is found in Florida but it doesn't discuss
heavy metals.

http://infolib.hua.edu.vn/Fulltext/ChuyenDe2009/CD255/18.pdf

Heavy metal transfer from composted macroalgae to crops

The article above covers what heavy metals were found (and that cadmium
could be a problem) in non freshwater algae composts in Europe. Overall,
I would be willing to bet my life that the composts are safe for
gardening.