[permaculture] Worth sowing into pasture pre Forest Garden plant-out?

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Mon May 16 06:58:45 EDT 2011

Hello permaculture people,

I'm involved in the design of a 2 acre forest garden in Shoreham, Kent, UK.

The site is currently pasture and we plan to start planting trees this
winter.

My question is: do you think it is worth us sowing something into the
pasture field now, in order to improve fertility? and if so, what do you
think we should sow?

I've had some people say its not worth sowing directly into pasture because
nothing will be able to germinate/ compete with the grass that is already
there. But I've also heard stories of people successfully sowing stuff into
grass.

Just wondering what people's thoughts/ experiences with this are?

Many thanks in advance,

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates