[permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment

Bellows,Wendi Lynn bellows at ufl.edu
Sun May 15 20:05:38 EDT 2011

We have literally tons of algae cleaned out of rivers here in North Central Florida. Algae is known to hyperconcentrate and fix nitrogen as well as carbon. Is there anyone out there experimenting with using algal mats as a soil amendment. We just began sun drying it and using it in our gardens with amazing results and I am curious if there are any other folks who have experimented or know of any research on the subject.

Thank you,
Wendi Bellows