[permaculture] Roofing materials and water collection

harry byrne wykman lists at peacetreepermaculture.com.au
Sat May 14 02:57:13 EDT 2011

Here's a quote from a write-up of a recent study:

Cockrell School faculty and students conducted an in-depth study --
recently published in the academic journal Water Research -examining
the effects of conventional and alternative roofing materials on the
quality of harvested rainwater. The study, led by civil, architectural
and environmental engineering Assistant Professor Mary Jo Kirisits,
showed that, of the five roofing materials tested, metal (specifically
Galvalume®), concrete tile and cool roofs produce the highest
harvested rainwater quality for indoor domestic use. The study also
showed that rainwater from asphalt fiberglass shingle roofs and
increasingly popular "green" roofs contain high levels of dissolved
organic carbon (DOC). Although other potential pollutants can be
significantly lower on green roofs (turbidity and aluminum), the high
DOCs are significant where these roofs would be used for potable
rainwater collection.

Source: Rainwater harvest study finds roofing material affects water
quality : www.sciencedaily.com

Harry
http://www.ptpc.com.au