[permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Improving the nutritional quality of food crops

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue May 10 11:15:35 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Improving the nutritional quality of food crops
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:08:37 -0400
From: Joel Gruver <jgruv at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello Margaret,

Nutrients taken up by a crop plant get distributed (aka partitioned)
within the plant.

One way to enhance the nutritional quality of crops is to select for
greater delivery of acquired nutrients to the parts of the crop that
will be harvested.

Another issue that I did not mention in my original post is how a
particular nutrient gets partitioned within potential biomolecules. P
tied up phytic acid is much less available than other forms of P.

the following article may be of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590064

Raboy V. 2001. Seeds for a better future: 'low phytate' grains help to
overcome malnutrition and reduce pollution.
Trends Plant Sci. 6(10):458-62.

Abstract
myo-Inositol(1,2,3,4,5,6) hexakisphosphate (InsP(6) or 'phytic acid')
was first known as the storage form of phosphorus in seeds.
Seed-derived dietary InsP(6) can contribute to iron and zinc deficiency
in human populations. Excretion of 'phytic acid  phosphorus' by
non-ruminants such as poultry, swine and fish can contribute to water
pollution. Sustainable solutions to these important problems might
depend on progress in the molecular biology and genetics of InsP(6)
accumulation during seed development. The development of 'low phytate'
grain and legume genotypes could help advance our understanding of this
biology, and when used in foods and feeds might help to reduce human
malnutrition and reduce animal waste phosphorus.

Joel Gruver
School of Agriculture
Western Illinois University
jgruv at hotmail.com