[permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome

Soil Doctor soildoctor.org at gmail.com
Sun May 1 13:45:38 EDT 2011

The current scientific inventory of genetic material in the human body puts the amount of human genetic material at a mere 0.7%.  99.3% is microbial and non-human.  Metagenomics and metabolomics are popping the top off of the interactions between a human host and microbes and showing that in most human diseases and processes there is a microbial connection. A couple of months ago researchers published a paper showing guy microbes regulated human liver function, for one small example.  Studying ONLY the human genetic material is like looking only at how a door handle is built in order to understand how a full house was constructed.  I've made a few recent posts about the paradigm change occurring in medical sciences because there is greater understanding (through metagenomics and metabolomics) of human-microbial symbiosis and mutualism.   Generally, the edge medical science is changing its treatment paradigm from "antibiotic" to "probiotic."  I wrote about this on my soil blog because it mirrors what a lot of us are doing in regenerative microbiological agriculture. In case you're interested to hear from the researchers here's a couple of posts:

http://soildoctor.org/?p=931

http://soildoctor.org/?p=921

Doug Weatherbee
http://soildoctor.org