No subject

Wed May 4 18:08:57 EDT 2011

regardless of the social conscience of the manufacturers.

So I think the best ecological choice for the planet would be to get involved
in reproductive issues. And secondly, in issues like finding a way to produce
hydrogen more cheaply energy-wise than by cracking the water molecule with
huge amounts of electricity. At present, using this kind of energy is just
juggling inputs. You have to build a huge dam to produce hydroelectric, use
it to crack the water and end up with hydrogen that costs the planet more
than gasoline. Have we gained by that?

Just something to chew on.

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC

--part1_11c.1cb22a1d.2b45b719_alt_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi, it's me again, a month late with my comments.<BR>
<BR>
If our overall goal is to reduce the burning of carbon (see the comment chain below) and watch it end up in the atmosphere instead of in the biosphere, we need to keep in mind that according to our best authorities (and this is kind of hard to measure accurately) the amount of carbon de-sequestered due to burning and clearing land dwarfs that lost to fossil fuel burning by a very large margin.<BR>
<BR>
So we would want to consider alternatives to the way land development is currently handled-- not only in this country but across the world. And the only way to do that would be through population controls such as teaching women's rights, family planning and birth control. Because if they're born they gotta eat, don't they? They're going to have to live somewhere, too. <BR>
<BR>
And as more land is cleared to make room for more cities and more cropland, the whole planet begins to look more like China or India-- bare dirt with lots of people on it. The carbon is missing.<BR>
<BR>
And as the global economy brings some degree of prosperity to everyone on the planet, they're going to want to buy a cheap little car, or at least a scooter, to drive around in. And that means a couple of billion more vehicles, whether or not they are fuel efficient. These motor vehicles will be bought from "evil doers" trying to make a buck.<BR>
<BR>
And they will run on fossil fuel up until the very day a way is discovered to run them a bit cheaper on hydrogen, or chicken flickings, or any other fuel. From that point they will run on the new, cheaper fuel. This will happen regardless of the social conscience of the manufacturers. <BR>
<BR>
So I think the best ecological choice for the planet would be to get involved in reproductive issues. And secondly, in issues like finding a way to produce hydrogen more cheaply energy-wise than by cracking the water molecule with huge amounts of electricity. At present, using this kind of energy is just juggling inputs. You have to build a huge dam to produce hydroelectric, use it to crack the water and end up with hydrogen that costs the planet more than gasoline. Have we gained by that?<BR>
<BR>
Just something to chew on.<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER>Mike Elvin<BR>
Fuquay-Varina, NC</P></FONT></HTML>

--part1_11c.1cb22a1d.2b45b719_alt_boundary--

--part1_11c.1cb22a1d.2b45b719_boundary