No subject

Wed May 4 18:08:57 EDT 2011

Pulitzer Prize–winning author) comes his most timely and important book
yet: an impassioned call for quick and decisive action to save Earth’s
biological heritage, and a plan to achieve that rescue.
Today we understand that our world is infinitely richer than was ever
previously guessed. Yet it is so ravaged by human activity that half its
species could be gone by the end of the present century. These two
contrasting truths—unexpected magnificence and underestimated peril—have
become compellingly clear during the past two decades of research on
biological diversity.
In this dazzlingly intelligent and ultimately hopeful book, Wilson
describes what treasures of the natural world we are about to lose
forever—in many cases animals, insects, and plants we have only just
discovered, and whose potential to nourish us, protect us, and cure our
illnesses is immeasurable—and what we can do to save them. In the
process, he explores the ethical and religious bases of the conservation
movement and deflates the myth that environmental policy is antithetical
to economic growth by illustrating how new methods of conservation can
ensure long-term economic well-being.

The Future of Life is a magisterial accomplishment: both a moving
description of our biosphere and a guidebook for the protection of all
its species, including humankind.

About the Author
Edward O. Wilson is the author of two Pulitzer Prize–winning books, On
Human Nature (1978) and The Ants (1990, with Bert Hölldobler), as well
as many other groundbreaking works, including Consilience, Naturalist,
and Sociobiology. A recipient of many of the world’s leading prizes in
science and conservation, he is currently Pellegrino University Research
Professor and Honorary Curator in Entomology of the Museum of
Comparative Zoology at Harvard University.