[permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape

Jacque Greenleaf jacque at book-woman.net
Tue Feb 23 13:34:31 EST 2010

It's highly unlikely that all the ivy roots have been removed. So whatever else you do, allow for pulling up more ivy roots for at least a year. In an old planting, some roots will be a couple feet or more underground, and it may take them a while to get a scout to the surface. Sheet mulch won't kill these deep roots, you'll just have to wear them out!

Shred/chip the vines, and pile them on a tarp for a while. I'd turn the pile once in a while. Once it's dry and you see no sign of green wood or live buds, then use it as mulch. I wouldn't put fresh ivy chippings anywhere near a place I didn't want ivy. It is an admirably tough plant.