[permaculture] [Fwd: Web Technology and Programming]

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 15 20:45:33 EST 2010

This fellow Matt wrote me the following but, not being a technical geeky
person, I could not suggest any functional application of his skills to
the needs of the magazine. Perhaps someone else out there could utilize,
or at least suggest an application for, his talents.
Keith

Greetings Keith!

I have been enjoying Permaculture Activist magazine for the past 2 years and checking up on the website frequently - it's a great resource and has
 provided me many useful links and new ideas.  I wanted to get in touch with you because I thought you might be interested in an idea I have, or at
 least be able to offer a bit of insight.  Basically, I am a computer scientist in the process of becoming an ecologist.  Though I have been a successful
 freelance programmer for about 10 years, with projects including computer modeling, information systems, and content management, I have found
 that my interests truly lie with the hard science of the natural world.  However I have developed a lot of expertise over the years and before I, at least
 in part, leave computer programming behind I want to explore arenas for bridging these two fields, and especially sharing with those working on the
 more radical or unsung levels of the ecological struggle, for instance permaculture.

With all this in mind my question to you then would be - what kinds of information systems needs can the permaculture movement specifically benefit from?
A good deal of my more recent experience has been with the web, so that could be a place to start.  For instance I am involved in the development
of open source web-based content management software that seeks to focus on ease of use for managing web content.  I'm also involved in a similar project
for managing magazine subscriptions.  Of course, PcA must already have systems in place for these things, but I'm interested in any additional challenges may
be from your perspective, especially for managing any information that is permaculture specific.

Let me know if you are interested in dialogging about any of this!  If there is some synergy perhaps something mutually beneficial could come from this, otherwise
it's just a pleasure to make your acquaintance and keep up the good work.

matt  <deepwinter at winterroot.net>

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
<http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- TransitionBloomington.org <http://transitionbloomington.org/>

- TransitionBloomington.ning <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
<http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
<http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>