[permaculture] Solar ovens to Haiti

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sat Feb 6 18:03:20 EST 2010

A story about solar stoves: Friends of Ianto Evans's were aid workers in
Central Africa. They brought a bunch of solar cookers with them,
figuring that since they were simply cardboard and mylar, they'd were
appropriately low-tech. Taught lots of people in several villages how to
use them. When they came back two years later, they could find no trace
of the cookers, and everyone was still cooking over a wood fire. Then
they noticed that lots of people had little pieces of reflective mylar
sewn into their clothes. They finally got someone to sheepishly explain
to them, "We don't cook with the sun. We cook with wood. But the things
you brought made lovely jewelry."

Ianto is full of little moral tales like this one.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com