[permaculture] Fwd: Help Us Help Haiti Update

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 3 16:33:37 EST 2010

jenny Nazak wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> 差出人: "SUN OVENS International, Inc." <info at sunoven.com>
> 日時: February 3, 2010 11:43:44 AM PST
> 宛先: jnazak at yahoo.com
> 件名: Help Us Help Haiti Update
>

> Much progress has been made in the efforts to expand the use of Sun Ovens to Haiti.
> Warmly yours,
> Paul M. Munsen
>
> SUN OVENS International, Inc.
> 39W835 Midan Drive
> Elburn, IL  60119
> Web site: www.sunoven.com
> E-mail: info at sunoven.com
> Phone: 630-208-7273
>             800-408-7919
> Fax:     630-208-7386
> The sun is a free gift from God!

Great idea! What about a flood of rocket stoves heading to Haiti, Jenny?
Some designed for cooking, some for heating water. This could be useful
in purifying water for cooking and washing dishes, maybe drinking.
I heard something on the Dianne Rheem Show this morning about problems
associated with donated material goods destined to end users in Haiti
not reaching those people because of the lack of infrastructure needed
to receive them then deliver them to people in need. The example today
was about medical (non-medicine), survival/camping and hygiene supplies
delivered to the wrong place and eventually getting stuck in the system
somewhere until they could be moved to destination. Seems to me this is
a problem that permaculture aid groups will have. Someone should put up
a blog or website with info on exactly where to go to help or deliver
goods.

On a totally different note here are a couple of small articles on the
history of Haiti voodoo (forget the zombie and black magic stuff, which
has nothing to do with voodoo), something I have been interested in for
a long time.
Voodoo is official in Haiti
http://www.boingboing.net/2003/04/09/voodoo-is-official-i.html#previouspost
Wade Davis on voodoo, the Haiti quake, and Pat Robertson
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/02/wade-davis-on-voodoo.html
"Anthropologist Wade Davis is an incredibly engaging and eloquent
explorer of the world's cultural diversity, what he calls the
Ethnosphere. He has written a slew of amazing books about the dangers
faced by disappearing cultures, both to the people whose vibrant
cultures are getting wiped out, and to us. His latest book is The
Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World, based on his
CBC Massey Lectures last year, but he is perhaps best known for The
Serpent and the Rainbow (1985), an illuminating study of Haitian voodoo
and zombis. National Geographic interviewed Davis about the earthquake
in Haiti, voodoo, and Pat Robertson's idiocy. From National Geographic:"

As I understand it, in Haiti you have two ethnic groups, the creoles who
are part white and two distinctly different groups of blacks, each of
whom originated from one of two countries in Africa, whose religious
orientation consists of those embracing voodoo and those practicing
black magic. Black magic came to Haiti from Congolese Africans and has
been "nurtured" and practiced there by them to the present. The Duvalier
family and their Tonton Macoute were deeply into this and used it to
subjugate peaceful Haitian people, many of whom practiced voodoo, those
who were not Catholic. This is probably a great oversimplification but
still provides a little background containing some degree of accuracy.

Back to rocket stoves!