[permaculture] Sign Petition to Oppose Genetically Modified Alfalfa

patrick lynch farmpeace at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 00:20:37 EST 2010

"Bad news from USA regarding GM alfalfa"

This has just arrived this morning from Fresh, the movie people.

* IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERN FOR KEEPING GM OUT OF YOUR PADDOCKS AND YOUR FOOD
AND MAINTAINING YOUR RIGHT TO CHOICE PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW AND
FILL IN THE PETITION. * IT IS EASY TO DO AND WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY
ADDING YOUR VOICE!

Hi Supporter,

Genetic food giant Monsanto is at it again. Its next target: a new product
that could eliminate all organic alfalfa, a key food for raising organic-fed
cows and pigs without any genetic engineering.

The USDA is well on its way to approving Monsanto's genetically modified
alfalfa. In its own report, the USDA says that not enough consumers care
enough about organic foods for the USDA to block Monsanto's modified alfalfa
seeds. [1]  * This is absurd since one of the main reasons people buy organic
food is to avoid genetically engineered crops. *

The USDA is only accepting public comments for the next two weeks. * We need
you to write to the USDA right now and tell them they must not approve
Monsanto's mutant alfalfa. *
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=141112761&url_num=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Faction.freshthemovie.com%2Fp%2Fdia%2Faction%2Fpublic%2F%3Faction_KEY%3D1753>We'll
deliver your comments before the deadline. [2]

* Click here: * *
http://action.freshthemovie.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1753 *
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=141112761&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Faction.freshthemovie.com%2Fp%2Fdia%2Faction%2Fpublic%2F%3Faction_KEY%3D1753>

Alfafa is one of the major food sources for certified organic animals, not
only because of its quality as forage, but because Monsanto's patented genes
are already found in 95% of soybeans and 80% of corn. If the USDA lets
Monsanto sell its new alfalfa, it will inevitably overtake organic alfalfa
crops through the natural pollination process. [3] As a result organic
farmers may be feeding their cows genetically modified food.

Just like its corn and soy, Monsanto's alfalfa is designed to tolerate its
leading herbicide: Roundup. We can't allow Monsanto's greed to take-over one
more crop. The consequences to our choice as consumer, to biological
diversity, to the survival of our small and organic farmers depends are too
dire.

Monsanto's domination of our food must stop. For the USDA to shrug it off
like nobody cares is to add insult to injury. We only have two weeks to
submit our comments.The fight for FRESH food will continue, and with your
help we'll make it clear that people care about the food they eat.
 *
Let's show the USDA and Monsanto that people want food free from Monsanto's
modifications. Write your comments to the USDA now and say no to genetically
modified alfalfa. *
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=141112761&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Faction.freshthemovie.com%2Fp%2Fdia%2Faction%2Fpublic%2F%3Faction_KEY%3D1753>

The fight for FRESH food will continue, and with your help we'll make it
clear that people care about the food they eat.

Thanks for all you do.

ana Sofia joanes
FRESH the Movie

---------

SOURCES:

1. United States Department of Agriculture. Glyphosate-Tolerant Alfalfa
Events J101 and J163: Request for Nonregulated Status. Draft Environmental
Impact Statement-November 2009. P.T-2.
2. Docket: APHIS-2007-0044: USDA Seeks Public Comment on Genetically
Engineered Alfalfa
3. United States Department of Agriculture. Glyphosate-Tolerant Alfalfa
Events J101 and J163: Request for Nonregulated Status. Draft Environmental
Impact Statement-November 2009. P.95.

PS The head of USDA is exMonsanto so this could be expected. When you put
the fox among the chickens you cannot expect for the chickens to last long.
This is the only way that Monsanto can operate - by stealth as there is no
rationale to support their invasion of the farming world and our future
except corporate greed.

PPS Alfafa is lucerne in Australia.