[permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] organic standards for vegan or vegetarian consumers/farmers?]

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 2 19:29:48 EST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] organic standards for vegan or vegetarian
consumers/farmers?
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:16:49 -1000
From: Hector Valenzuela <hectoruh11 at GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi all-

Do you have any thoughts, ideas, or experience with organic "standards" for
vegetarian and/or vegan consumers/farmers?

I understand that for them appropriate practices for Organic Farming would
not rely on the use of animal products (manures, nor pesticides containing
animal products).

What nutrient and pest management programs would you use? I can see more
reliance on cover crops, rotations, products such as cotton-meal (non GM)
and alfalfa pellets, and crop residues used as mulch or composted.

Are there any farmers out there that follow these stricter organic
standards?

Thank-you for any feedback or leads,

Hector Valenzuela
Univ. Hawaii at Manoa
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~hector/
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/organic/

Upcoming: Public Seed Initiative Symposium
Kona, Hawaii, April 17-18, 2010
http://www.kohalacenter.org/seedsymposium/about.html