[permaculture] Question about Earth Homes, thermal mass and humidity

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 14:18:04 EST 2010

Isabel,
I know of a an older, MUCH older, earth housing example in Macon, GA.  Have you visited the Ocmulgee native monument?  Obviously I can't speak for the actual living conditions in such a "house", but that area is ecotone central - rivers, uplands, piedmont, coastal plain - and drew lots of interest from Amerinds, way before dehumidifying HVAC systems (and books, shoes, and rugs).

Couple this with Paul's recent exposure of Mike Oehler's WOFATI techniques, the old native hogans, and we MIGHT be onto something.  I'm considering an addition to our little crackerbox down the road along these lines.  Anyone with information about the lack of viability of such things should please talk me out of this if it is a known disaster!

Good discussion, thanks!

Tripp

-Chinese proverb