[permaculture] manual tools for tilling?

Stephen Sherman spsherm at msn.com
Mon Apr 5 15:36:37 EDT 2010

There are a bunch of variables which will effect the answer (and how
hard you will be working by hand), such as the extent of the grass's
roots, how rocky and deep the soil is, how wet/dry it is, etc. However a
few thoughts:

Wheel hoes, and the like which are human powered are not a good choice
for breaking sod. There is a reason people have used horses/oxen/etc to
pull a plow for centuries. Breaking soil/sod by hand can be done, but it
is going to take a shovel/turning fork or the like, one shovel/fork full
at a time. If you want to go the motorized route (gas powered
roto-tiller) then you might consider hiring it out, as it is still alot
of work to break sod with one of those. A good discussion of preparing
new ground can be found in Steve Solomon's book "Gardening when it
counts." Solomon contends it is almost as much work keeping a
roto-tilling going through new ground as it is digging by hand. Of
course if you are not the person behind the tiller, then that may not
matter to you.

Probably the best/easiest way to prepare new sod is to cover it in mulch
for a year before you plant. Of course not much use if you want to plant
this year. But if you cover the grass with the standard sheet composting
layers (or even just a weed/grass proof barrier and some mulch stuff on
top) for a year, all the grass and roots will be gone and you can easily
prepare your garden the next year. It also allows you to add fertility
to the garden area and build soil ahead of time. Perhaps something to
consider for the future.

However if you need to move ahead with the garden area now, if your
terrain allows, getting a neighbor with a small tractor and roto-tiller
attachment (or plow and disks) to come and work the ground might be the
fastest/easiest alternative. Regardless of who/how the soil prep is
done, be sure that the soil is at the right moisture level for working,
otherwise considerable harm can be done to the soil.