[permaculture] Svar: Re: David Blume and "Alcohol Can Be A Gas"

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Wed Oct 21 14:28:48 EDT 2009

Thomas Paul Jahn wrote:
> Sorry, but in my eyes this is not permaculture at all. As long as he
> wants us make believe that we will be driving our cars and lorries on
> alcohol in substitution for oil this is insane.
It doesn't sound like you've read the book, as he is generally not
advocating large scale use, and suggests that we won't continue to drive
cars en masse much longer. The book is primarily about on-farm and
small-scale ethanol production for very specific uses.

Dave sometimes overstates his case and uses more best-case numbers than
I like, but he definitely knows his stuff when it comes to ethanol. I
don't think he sees it as "the" solution, just part of a multi-fold set
of solutions. He grasps permaculture pretty well.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com