[permaculture] BOOK TOUR CA Mar 29- May 14 with author Owen Dell of Sustainable Landscape for Dummies

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Mar 27 11:19:30 EDT 2009

hi everyone
here is the podcast from Sustainable World Radio
interview on Mar 20
www.pdcastsusworldradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=446689

Check below for dates in April/May 2009
Occidental, San Anselmo, Santa Cruz, Los Gatos,
Los Angeles, Ventura

Sustainable Landscaping:
A Visionary Look at the Future of Gardens
  Book-Signing & Talk with Owen Dell
  author of Sustainable Landscape for Dummies

Sunday, March 29, 7 pm, Donation $5
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

	         The word sustainable is
everywhere these days, but just what makes a
sustainable landscape and why does it matter?

	Join Owen Dell, author of the newly
published book Sustainable Landscaping for
Dummies,. Dell is the smart man behind the
Dummies title, who shares more than 38 years of
knowledge and experience as a landscape architect
and contractor with a passion for good design
that makes sense for the homeowner and the
environment.

	Part of the phenomenally successful
"Dummies" book series, with its give me the
facts, make me smarter format that have made them
so popular, Sustainable Landscaping for Dummies
provides hands-on, how-to instructions for the
novice and expert alike.  From creating abundant
edible landscapes, to making your home safe in
wildfires, to making the most of rainfall that
falls on your land, the book describes processes
that don't just make things less bad, they make
them a lot better.

	A long time "guru" for sustainable
landscaping, Dell suggests we can mimic nature
for best design.  Humorously describing
traditional landscape design as an "environmental
train wreck", he seriously notes these practices
destroy native habitats, consume natural
resources, cause strip mining and forest clear
cutting, and annually poison nearly 70 million
birds with pesticides.

	Working since the 1970's with his first
landscape design business, Dell found a niche
designing beautiful and functional gardens using
native plants.  Later, taking inspiration from
natural disasters he created "firescapes" for the
fire ecology of southern California, and
water-wise gardens, that responded to drought
conditions in the 1980's.  More recently he
developed the concept of "fossil free"
landscapes, noting the need for less fossil fuel
(oil) powered equipment used in our gardens, and
has incorporated many permaculture design ideas
as well.

	Owen Dell  is an award-winning
California-licensed landscape architect and
contractor, and the owner of County Landscape and
Design in Santa Barbara, California. He is one of
the founders of the Firescape Demonstration
Garden in Santa Barbara, which was the first of
its kind in the nation. He has been a contributor
to Sunset Magazine, Pacific Horticulture and many
other publications.  Dell is the co-star of
“Garden Wise Guys,” a sitcom about sustainable
landscaping.  He has presented workshops and
lectures for homeowners and professional
audiences at botanic gardens, colleges and
universities, and conferences throughout the
United States, Canada, and overseas.

         The event takes place on Sunday, March
29, 7pm at the Santa Barbara Public Library,
Faulkner Gallery, 40 East Anapamu St, in downtown
Santa
Barbara.  No reservations are required, donation
$5. Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sponsors
the event.    For more information please call
(805) 962-2571, or  email
margie at sbpermaculture.org,
<http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>www.sbpermaculture.org.

OWEN DELL BOOK TOUR ORGANIZED BY S.B. PERMACULTURE NETWORK

  Visit <http://www.owendell.com/>www.owendell.com
for update on his upcoming book tour in
California.

4/6/097pm
The Occidental Arts and Ecology Center
15290 Coleman Valley Road, Occidental, CA 95465 (707) 874-1557

4/6/9  7pm
Drake High School Theater, 1327 Sir Francis Drake Blvd.,
San Anselmo
Dustin Kahn
<mailto:dustin at permaculturemarin.org>dustin at permaculturemarin.org,
<http://www.permaculturemarin.org/>www.permaculturemarin.org

4/10/09
Greenspace
1122 Soquel Ave,
Santa Cruz, CA
(831)-423-7200, http://greenspacecompany.com/

4/11/09
Loma School, Los Gatos, CA
Contact Appropriate Horticulture Associates www.apphort.com/

4/15/09 7pm
Helen Henderson West Community Hall
Church of the Holy Nativity,
Dunbarton at 83rd St., (6700 West 83rd St.) Westchester (LA 90045)
Los Angeles, CA
310 670 4777
Environmental Change-Makers  www.EnviroChangeMakers.org/

4/16/09  7pm
Solvang Public Library,
1745 Mission Dr, Solvang, CA 93463
Solvang, CA

5/14/09
Ventura County Master Gardeners
Hanson Agricultural Learning Center
14292 West Telegraph Road Santa Paula, CA 93060
http://groups.ucanr.org/vcmg/

*Copies of Sustainable Landscaping for Dummies
will be available for sale at the event, and will
be signed by the author. Owen Dell's other books –
  Green Living All-In-One for Dummies and How to
Start a Home-Based Landscaping Business (5th
Edition)  will also be available for purchase.

  *Friday, March 20,  9-10am  Owen Dell will be
interviewed on Sustainable World Radio on KCSB
91.9 FM PST
  Streaming live on
<http://www.kcsb.org/>www.kcsb.org, also found on
<http://www.sustainableworldradio.com/>
www.sustainableworldradio.com, later in the month.

More good info about the book:

Sustainable Landscaping for Dummies will show you
how to design, build, and live with an
earth-friendly landscape that:

	Requires minimal maintenance
	Is inexpensive to construct and maintain
	Is made from safe, natural materials
	Resists pests and diseases
	Is drought-tolerant and long-lasting
	Supplies wholesome, organic food for you and your family
	Provides outdoor rooms for many uses
	Is stunningly beautiful

Some of the inside tricks you'll learn in Sustainable Landscaping for Dummies:

	How to make use of "heritage" materials that will last many lifetimes
	How to design and build a drip irrigation system that really works
	How to make use of the "world's best design tool"
	How to cut your maintenance costs by half or much more
	How to supercharge your plants by adding
one natural element one time only, for pennies
per plant
	How to virtually eliminate fertilizing by
using the "chop and drop" technique
	How to develop a Neighborhood Foodshed in your community

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
  http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org

- Release Date: 03/07/09 18:43:00