[permaculture] Landscaping With Fruit

rafter t. sass rafter at liberationecology.org
Thu Mar 19 08:45:36 EDT 2009

Hello friends,

Lee Reich's new book, Landscaping With Fruit is out now. It's
informative, it's gorgeous, and it's cheap - and I'm happy to say it
includes a  of one of my designs (co-designed with friend and
colleague Ethan Roland) as the example of a Permaculture landscape!

For those of you who don't know, Lee Reich is a great friend to
innovative fruit growers. His books on pruning and uncommon fruits
have been seminal reference books since publication. This book stands
out for its wealth of sample design concepts, as well as its very
useful profiles of over 40 fruiting species (mostly cool/temperate &
low-maintenance) for the edible landscape. For many of us, the fact
that he includes data on yields for almost all of these species is a
reason for celebration!

Needless to say I'm happy to have my work featured, but even were that
not the case, I think I'd be very pleased with this latest offering
from Reich. If you're thinking of picking it up, please consider
helping support the author by getting it through his website at www.leereich.com
. (And no, I'm not getting a percentage!)

Hope this finds you well.

Best,
Rafter

rafter t. sass
The Liberation Ecology Project
liberationecology.org
518-567-7407
skype: raughter

LANDSCAPING WITH FRUIT (Storey Publishing, 2009)

A book to rethink landscaping and fruit growing. Use certain temperate
zone fruit trees, vines, shrubs, and groundcovers to beautify the
landscape and, at the same time, provide tasty fruits for eating. The
focus here is on so-called dessert fruits, delectable fruits that can
be enjoyed right off the plants. Most people don't expect to need to—
and don't have to—perform detailed annual pruning or pest control on
their landscape plants. Fruit suggested in this book are those that
can be held to these same low-maintenance standards. Learn how to
optimize growing conditions and reap bountiful harvests while enjoying
your scenery.