[permaculture] Dieter's email on fire and fertility

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 14:32:40 EDT 2009

Again, Dieter, thanks for that great email.  I am doing most of the things you mention for fire prevention.  I'm also fantasizing about being able to have a few overhead sprinklers for zone 1, someday.  The danger of fire in your area seems unsustainable.  How did people thrive in the Mediterranean for so long with this kind of potential for fire?

Similarly, how did people populate the Mediterranean basin so densely with such limited water sources?  I would like to know more about traditional farming culture.  I also wonder if the fertility of the lowlands was maintained at the expense of the highlands, as in East Asia.  In Farmers for Forty Centuries, you can read about how the hills were basically sacrificed to maintain the rice paddies and orchards.  In the Mediterranean, goats, sheep, and cows, coupled with tree cutting, turned the hills into barren rocks, with all the topsoil feeding the lowlands or the Sea.  Are there examples of sustainable farming/gardening from traditional Mediterranean culture?

Rain