[permaculture] Dieter's email on clay

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 14:16:27 EDT 2009

Thanks for the details of your experience, Dieter.  It seems consistent with my experience and surmisings in northern California.  I used to hate the idea of stealing organic matter from some areas to feed others, but it seems to be necessary in areas with limited fertility and water.  Like you said, hopefully it will be temporary.  Plus, in a climate with a history of frequent fires, removal of organic matter for a few years might replicate the effects of fire, to some extent.

I am somewhat lucky in that I have a few large oaks around and madrone and oak groves nearby that shed a lot of leaves every year and have areas of good soil underneath.  The next step would be to scythe large areas of grass for mulch, but this seems less effective.

Isn't fire a concern at your site?  I wouldn't feel safe having large areas covered with straw mulch anywhere near my house, hence my previous mention of compost pits.

Rain