[permaculture] After the Fires

christopher nesbitt christopher.nesbitt at mmrfbz.org
Sat Mar 14 13:49:59 EDT 2009

Hi Bela,

I lost 50 acres of habitat to a neighbors our of control fire. You can
read about it here: http://www.mmrfbz.org/Fire.html As a result of my
neighbors fire, I have spent much of the last year dealing with the
consequences of fire, instead of focusing on things I would like to
work on.

Hills can slump after loss of roots. You will have dead roots offering
temporary support to the soil, so you will have a windiw in which to
plant out more trees to replace the ones that were killed.

Not knowing the particulars of your area, and knowing it is most
likely different than here, I would suggest considering deep rooted
plants very quickly. We used vetiver on contour (about three acres of
50 burned), and planted a LOT of trees through the balance, fast
growing timber and tree legumes, some fruit. We have one hill I am
very worried about.

Good luck!

Christopher

Christopher Nesbitt