[permaculture] Endorsing April 26 as Seeds Day

Brent McMillan brent at gp.org
Fri Mar 13 16:00:54 EDT 2009

Dear Permies:

I recently spoke with Wafaa' Al-Natheema of the Institute of Near
Eastern & African Studies (INEAS). Her organization is seeking support
in Actions on April 26 to bring to light the issue of Iraq Order 81. A
most egregious and despicable order by Paul Bremer.

In service:

Brent McMillan
Steward of Woodhaven
Avilla, IN

 From Wafaa':

Greetings;

We are writing to you in reference to an important matter regarding
patent seeds and IRAQ's Order 81 (see full text below).

As you may know that the sixth anniversary of the war on IRAQ coinciding
on March 19/20.  But many don't realize that April 26 marks the fifth
anniversary of the passing and signing of Order 81 by Paul Bremer, the
administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) appointed
in IRAQ by the USA in 2003.

Order 81 gives full rights to American agribusiness corporations such
as Monsanto to control the future of Iraqi seeds and agriculture, prohibits
Iraqi farmers from using their traditional seeds and forces them to buy
seeds and agricultural material from USA companies.

The Iraqi public and patent-free seeds advocates around the world are
unaware of this law and its consequences.  Iraqi farmers need our help
to educate them about how to keep seeds under such circumstances
and how to lobby to ban this Order.

To educate people around the world about this agricultural catastrophe,
we are writing to invite you to endorse April 26 as an International Seeds
Day (ISD).

Endorsers would be asked to participate in some or all of the following:

* publicize April 26 as an International Seeds Day (beginning on
March 20) on the Internet, via email, postage mail and/or in their events.

* hold teach-ins or any other event they see fit on April 26 to educate
about
Order 81, patent seeds and agribusiness in general as well as sterile
and genetically modified seeds.

* help publicize the International Seeds Day through alternative and
mainstream media

* publicize the list of events taken place on April 26 worldwide
beginning on
March 30.

We greatly appreciate your help in making ISD a worldwide success.

Cordially,

Wafaa' Al-Natheema, Founding Director
Institute of Near Eastern & African Studies (INEAS)
P.O. Box 425125
Cambridge, MA. 02142 USA
Tel: 1 (617) 86-INEAS (864-6327)
Website: http://www.INEAS.org