[permaculture] food forest productivity

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 00:10:11 EDT 2009

It is Leucaena. I probably typed it wrong rushing out the e-mail late at night. I will do my best to answer your questions tomorrow, but there are far more knowledgeable people than me, and my knowledge is based on working in a Mediterranean climate Zone.? Anything Geoff Lawton has to say is pure gold in my humble opinion, I loved his new documentary on food forests.? There are lots of ways to capture water swales, berms, dams, keyline plowing etc. The specifics of your land dictate the methods that are best. My wife and I worked on a small scale.? We used terraces and micro-swales, along with planting trees in basins. We also mulch heavily and do a lot of chop and drop.?

Every source you mentioned for books are good.? I can't imagine not having Mollison's manual.? Obviously, nitrogen fixers are critically important. We have leucaena, locust, ceanosis, and have also used a variety of annual nitrogen fixers like clover vetch, fava beans and others. Beyond that you need advice from more experienced people than me who have experience in the regions you described.? The general principles work, but the range of plants will be radically different.?

Larry