[permaculture] food forest productivity

negiliblek negiliblek at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 21:36:56 EDT 2009

Larry,

I'm going to attempt food forest plantings in central IA, central MO, and

south of Gallup, NM  -so I'm full of questions for people who've actually

"done it"

When I googled leucania, I got moths and grasses... do you have the species

name?

Did you follow the overstory, mid-story, understory, bush and ground cover

model?

What is your opinion of Geoff Lawton's swale method for creating food forest?

What is your opinion of the book PERMACULTURE: A Designers' Manual by Bill

Mollison and Reny Mia Slay as a source of food forest design?

I like the honey locust tree because it puts off alot of high protien beans

and the velvet mesquite for the same reason: what downsides do you know about

for these trees?

Am I correct in thinking since both the honey locust and the velvet mesquite

come from the pea family that they'd make good nitrogen fixers?

If you have opinions that might create too serious a controversy, feel free

to email me offline -I'm looking for methods that are tried and true; not

ivory tower, outta work in theory methods.

If anyone else who has successfully plant a food forest and lives off it, please feel free to say what worked for you and what didn't.

TIA