[permaculture] food forest productivity

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Wed Mar 11 14:12:13 EDT 2009

On approximately a 1/3 acre plot we currently have 102 food bearing trees, the majority fruit, but two avocados, 1 almond, 1 macadamia,?and finanally?a leucania producing high protein seeds.? We also have scarlet runner beans, chayote, berries, artichokes, edible cannas, and on and on..? We are beginning to have significant surpluses that are being traded with other members of the community we live for food we don't grow ourselves.? Community trading networks plus backyard food forests or home-scale agriculture can provide huge quantities of food and help make a town or small city food independent.

Larry Saltzman