[permaculture] Fwd: human urine as fertilizer - Steve Read's question re: m/f hormones, etc.

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:52:07 EDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:03:18 -0500
Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...................for your friend in France: Studies show that
> hormones appear to disaggregate when in a complex biologically rich
> system, such as an ecological wastewater system. What nature put
> together, nature can take apart. Will hormones get taken up by
> plants? I haven't found a study that shows that. That would be a good
> study.

Just google "antibiotics in plants", it *is* a problem.

"This study points out the potential human health risks associated with
consumption of fresh vegetables grown in soil amended with antibiotic
laden manures. The risks may be higher for people who are allergic to
antibiotics and there is also the possibility of enhanced antimicrobial
resistance as a result of human consumption of these vegetables."

http://jeq.scijournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/34/6/2082

nepal.