[permaculture] human urine as fertilizer

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:31:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:02:58 -0600
Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns at gmail.com> wrote:

> I became a real disciple of urine-diverting to fertilizer and compost
> piles while teaching on Martha's Vineyard this summer. Their Island
> Report and now Comprehensive Island Environmental Plan reports that
> 80-90% of the nitrate pollution that severely reduces and threatens
> their shellfish in their ponds and tidal pools comes from human urine
> via island-wide septic systems. (I was ready to blame industry, but
> alas, they have none.

That would depend on your definition of industry. Any man made system
that processes on a scale larger than the single individual is industry
(to nature and the natural) as it is nature that has to 'deal' with the
result!

What is an island wide septic system but industry?

>I would also blame the golf courses, but the
> report exonerates them. It's human pee that's ruining an industry and
> threatening species,

No it is not! It is a poorly understood/designed/functioning industrial
processing of large amounts of urine that is the problem. If the urine
was not interfered with in *any* way at all it would simply fall to
ground and be recycled the way nature designed it.

Nature is not the problem, mankind with his silly mind is the problem.

> and septic and sewage systems do not, or do not
> do an effective job of, removing nitrates. I'm now on one of the
> committees and lobbying for incentives for urine diverting toilets.

and is an industrialised system.

nepal.