[permaculture] Was "moldy compost"

Stephen Sherman spsherm at msn.com
Tue Jul 14 20:19:39 EDT 2009

Here in the Colorado Rockies at 8400' red wigglers survive the winters
just fine outdoors (-20F most years), perhaps too well...

I added red wigglers to my compost pile some years back. While they no
doubt do help decompose the scraps in the pile, I have found them to be
quite aggressive in their search for food. They will eat living plants
in the garden, both roots and up above ground (I still find small ones
inside cabbage, must have moved in when the head was forming). They
aren't a terrible problem, just a nuisance; especially in the cabbage.

Perhaps I have a more aggressive strain, or maybe there is a better way
to manage the compost heap so that the worms do not find their way to
the garden with the finished compost. But if I had it to do over, I'd
skip the red wigglers.

Steve