[permaculture] What happened to the third ethic?

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 19:35:08 EDT 2009

Rain,

You seem to be saying there are two halves to creating a surplus. One Half of the equation?is obtaining a sustainable yield - as large a yield as reasonable using Permaculture design principles. The other half of the equation is escaping from consumerism.? American consumerism is based on an economic model that assumes resources are unlimited.? Developing an ethic that finds?joy in limiting the consumption, and simplifing our lives involves a radical re-orientation?of our values.? I would argue that spirituality in our culture has been replaced by a worship of money and materialism.? My wife's new book "Ecotherapy Healing with Nature In Mind" argues that the dis-connection from nature in all its' aspects is part of what is so diseased about American culture.? There is an excellent chapter in the book by Richard Bruce Anderson on the topic of consumerism and its' negative effects on our well being.? But we are dealing with a culture addicted to spending and believing that there is no limit on the experiences or material possessions we can buy.? Curing our collective materialistic, spending?addiction we be an important part of the equation.? Reconnecting with the natural world is one step?most middle and working?class people?have to take.? In part, because we don't connect with where the yield comes from that we depend on, nor do we have a spiritual connection with the planet and universe we live in.

You are quite correct that we (the culture as a whole) currently want simple tricks so we can go on living as always.? We are like alcoholics who want to find a way to keep drinking without it doing us any harm. We will jump at any snake oil salesperson who pretends to offer us such a deal.? This will be a powerful challenge to Permaculture in North America and the rest of the industrially developed world.? Teaching people the principles of Permaculture is easy, learning to design food forest and build strawbales houses is easy. What is hard is helping consumer addicts to recognize their addiction and free themselves from it.? Helping people to understand both the joy and necessity of a sane lifestyle is the most difficult challenge we face.

Unfortunately, that didn't help you state the third principle succinctly, but once you start thinking about it, there is a lot more behind it than meets the eye.? You are definitely raising an important question.

Larry