[permaculture] Which books?

christopher nesbitt christopher.nesbitt at mmrfbz.org
Sat Jul 11 20:47:06 EDT 2009

Alan,

I would second my cousin, John Thomas's, thoughts. Learning from
people close to where you live is a wonderful idea, and if there is a
PDC in your neighborhood, consider taking it. As for books, no matter
where you are, the "Big Book" is a good place to start.

Observing, too, is a very good idea. I watched my land for two years
before I did much more than plant a few trees.

What may be a wonderful design strategy for one place may be
inappropriate for another. I know lots of books appropriate to
tropical climes, which is where I am. You have not said where you are.

If you are in a temperate climate, the best of the books that I have
read would be Toby Hemenway's book, "Gaia's Garden", which is well
written and very informative. Toby is also a very nice guy.

Best wishes,

Christopher

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm