[permaculture] 2009-2010 Online permaculture design course announcement

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Fri Jul 10 12:29:55 EDT 2009

2009 Permaculture News & Scholarship Deadlines
Please post and/or announce. Reply only to
BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com  Replies to other addresses
may be blocked.

For details on the news items below, visit our web
site: www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

Contents below:
.  14th  Annual Permaculture Design Course Online
.  Permaculture Solution Journal to Resume
Publication
.  Discounted Publications Still Available
.  Permaculture images:  Searches, CDs, Scanned
slide presentations.
.  Internships
.  Florida Permaculture Workshop Opportunities
.  Scholarship Deadline--Aug. 1

This is our annual news release.  For more detail
information a nd updates, please visit our web
site at www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org .

Elfin Permaculture Announces
14th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online
Elfin Permaculture's 14th Annual Permaculture
Design Course Online, which begins Oct. 4, 2009,
benefits from more than a dozen years of the
online courses and more than a quarter century of
teaching permaculture by the lead instructor, Dan
Hemenway.

The deadline for scholarship applications is Aug.
1 each year. (See below.) Otherwise, students may
register at any time. Students who are fully paid
before the cycle begins receive a $100 discount.
We are in great need of contributions to supply
reading materials to scholarship students.

People with limited funds or time may also monitor
the course free with purchase of the course CD
self-study version, or the full self-study reading
package. Monitor registration must accompany
registration for free tuition. See the Course
Protocol, on our web site, for details.

The certificate course runs six months and
includes the following learning approaches:

. extensive reading in books, papers, both in
print and on the course CD-ROM;

. 21 modules of at least one week, mainly
presented on the CD, representing the formal
presentations of course instructors;

.  at least four reports from each student,
including a full permaculture design report;

.  class discussion via email of readings and
reports, as well as questions and issues raised by
students or instructors;

.  the opportunity to participate in student study
groups where interested students can pursue any
agreed-upon topic for as long as they wish
(independently of the course schedule);

. support for students by three instructors:

Dan Hemenway, course designer leader;
Cynthia Hemenway CNM, designer and discussion
leader for a special week on Design for Health,
and
Robert Waldrop, founder of the Oklahoma Food
Cooperative and leader of several online
discussion groups, course moderator and currently
discussion leader. You may read further background
of our instructors on our web site.  In practice,
Robert will lead most discussion groups and review
early design work and Dan will review more
complete design drafts and provide deep backup
throughout, as needed.  Cynthia focuses mainly on
the Design for Health module and serves as further
deep back up.

The online course consists of three consecutive
sections, plus work on a permaculture design which
students undertake throughout the cycle in which
they are registered. Samples of student design
work are included in the course CD. We offer
several registration options to accommodate people
in varied circumstances including a
non-certificate track, certificate training in one
six-month cycle, and a two year 'deliberate track'
that enables a student to participate in two
consecutive course cycles and take extra time to
prepare the design report for certification.

Registration is limited because of the time
required to review and critique individual
designs. To enable more students to participate,
students may enroll in a fast track or deliberate
track, each with different design report
deadlines.

Content of the course sections follow:

    Section 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
     A 0        a) World ecological problems and
interrelationships.
          b)  Principles of natural design.
          c)  Permaculture design concepts.
          d)  Classical landscapes.
          e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
          f)  The Permaculture Design Report
                g)  Principles o f transformation
(Unique to Elfin Permaculture courses.).

    Section 2: Appropriate Technologies in
Permaculture Design
          a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass,
etc.
          b)  Nutrient cycles (3 modules)--soil,
microclimates, gardening methods, perennials, tree
crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock,
"pest" management, food storage, seed saving,
cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
          c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture,
conservation, etc.
          d)   Shelter/buildi ngs and access.
              e)    Design for Health.

    Section 3:  Social permaculture.  Design
Report.
          a)  Design for catastrophe.
          b)  Urban permaculture.
          c)  Bioregionalism.
          d)  Alternative economics.
          e)  Village development.
          f)  Final design reports and critiques.
          g)  Final evaluation.

Online course participants have come from every
inhabited continent and a number of island
countries, from latitudes spanning the equatorial
tropics to sub-arctic, and a comparable range of
elevations, climates, etc.. The course is suited
to beginning permaculture design students, people
seeking deep support in producing a permaculture
design for their own homes, and, by special
arrangement, people with some permaculture
training and experience who wish to undertake
work. Successful students receive certification as
entry-level permaculturists. Advanced students pay
no extra, but are expected to serve as additional
resources to the beginning students.
To review information about the course
methodology, content, certification requirements,
tuition & fees, registration process, scholarship
policies, reading list & cost, and assignment
schedule, download the course preregistration
package from our web site,
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

To download only the package, go to
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/Preregistration7_09.pdf

Enrollment has begun for Cycle 14.

Permaculture Solutions Journal to Resume
Publication
After a long dormancy, we are reviving our
publication, The International Permaculture
Solutions Journal. The revival issue is more than
85% complete. It features a substantial section in
"Patterning in Permaculture," with drawings, text,
and contributions from several permaculturists.
Other articles will address some often
misunderstood permaculture basics, and will
include an earthy article by Joe Jenkins, author
of The Humanure Handbook. The upgraded journal
will be available mainly on CD, with a limited
number of print copies in black and white.
Offprints will be available beginning 6 months
after publication.
Check our website for details.

Publications Discounted Substantially

We continue to offer heavy discounts on some of
our publications that have been stained in
storage.  These contain all information of
unstained copies.  We also have a number of single
copies of books that we will list on our web site
from time to time. Check our web site for details.
We are clearing our inventory of the permaculture
design course pamphlets, and offer these at a very
low price.  See our web site for current details.

Permaculture images:  Searches, CDs, Scanned slide
presentations.

We have been working on a two-prong effort to make
available for sale images in our extensive
permaculture photo library.  We have to date
indexed about 4,000 images on a database
(FileMaker Pro.)  We are presently importing
images to the database so that others can scan for
images that they need.  Simultaneously, we are
scanning our extensive library of 35 millimeter
slides, starting with formal slide presentations.
We envision the following licensed uses for photos
in these digital formats:

· A series of library CDs with low-resolution
images, a keywords field, descriptive informat
ion, and, where available, presentation script,
additional notes, and suggestions regarding the
educational objectives that the images serve. This
will be available as a pdf file.
· A series of 'slide' shows on CD, duplicating our
older 35mm slide presentations. These are listed
on our website. Presentations for self-education
will be on pdf, with a relatively low price. Shows
for public presentation will be on a graphics
format such as jpeg, and will feature higher
resolution.

· Custom production of CDs containing digital
images. We will price these based on the intended
use and the registration required.

Florida Permaculture Workshop Opportunities

For personal reasons, we have drastically
curtained travel for teaching and consulting in
the US and Canada.  (We will consider requests for
programs in other countries on a case-by-case
basis.)  In order to continuing sharing our
permaculture experience and insights, we are
looking to offer permaculture programs in Florida,
where we now live.  The preferred region is an
elipse 50 miles from Ocala to the south and 50
miles from Gainesville to the north. If you live
elsewhere in Florida, we will evaluate logistics
on a case by case basis.

To explore the possibility for program in your
area, please download the appropriate documents
from our web site explaining our standard terms
and what is involved.  We are looking at designing
programs over a series of weekends, as well, to
minimize the duration of time away from our own
site. For programs offered nearby, we can commute.
This would be the area between Gainesville and
Ocala. We are interested in offering a life
certificate course weekends, to shadow our online
course synchronously, using the same reading
package.  We do not organize or host programs-we
teach them.  Permaculture is a self-reliance mov
ement.  If you want a program, you need to take
the initiative.  As you can see from the above, we
do not lack for things to do.

 After reading what is involved, please contact us
if you are interested.

We are also willing to undertake a few consulting
jobs each year in Florida.  Again, details are
already on our web site.

We never offer training programs at Barking Frogs
Permaculture Center.  This is an ironclad policy.

Scholarship Deadline--Aug. 1
The annual deadline for scholarship submissions is
August 1. ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BETWEEN JULY
1 AND AUG. 1 WILL BE CONSIDERED. Instructions for
scholarship application may be downloaded from our
web site. They are also included in our course
preregistration package.

Donations are needed to support additional
scholarships and to provide reading materials to
scholarship students. (We cannot include these in
our scholarships.) Inquire at
BarkingFrogsPC at aol.com or send contributions to
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center, PO Box 69,
Sparr FL 32192-0069 USA. Please include the term
"permaculture" in the subject field when sending
email to us.

Elfin Permaculture is a project of Barking Frogs
Permaculture Center operated by Dan and Cynthia
Hemenway. Other projects include20Yankee
Permaculture (publications) and the Solutions
Network (permaculture volunteers).

Our 14th Annual Permaculture Design Course Online
begins Oct. 4, 2009. The protocol for our Annual
Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/protocol.pdf

A complete list of Yankee Permaculture
publications by category may be downloaded from:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/YPCpublicationsbycategory.pdf