[permaculture] Moldy Compost

Mathew Waehner waehner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 06:38:19 EDT 2009

Robert, that is a difference between large and small scale composting.  On a
farm, a rat is no big problem, and the pile should easily get hot enough to
render a little rat manure safe.

I wouldn't assume either condition on a rooftop in NYC.  I use grass
clippings to heat my home scale compost pile, but organic grass clippings
might not be easy to come by in NYC; herbicide carryover can be  a real
problem.

Mold is a natural component of a cool, slow compost pile- good things like
apple cores and banana peels mold in those conditions.