[permaculture] Planning Department encourages infill, offers tiny-house p...

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Wed Jul 1 10:21:15 EDT 2009

I am not Larry. . . but . . . birth control is a
long term issue, it does nothing for the present
situation. The additional affordable housing is
needed by people who already exist, many of whom
work full time jobs in urban areas but can't
afford housing.

Most of these suburban areas have large lots that
have plenty of room for a small house or garage
apartment and room to garden, both annuals and
perennials.  My lot has 1/7th of an acre and has
two houses on it plus a driveway and sidewalks and
even so I manage so much green that someone who
came to visit me yesterday drove by the house
because they couldn't see the house for the
foliage.  I had told them "we are on the corner
with a forest instead of a yard" but the full
import of that didn't apparently sink in.

So yes, our cities need more dense utilization of
their existing spaces.  If more single family
homes either became duplexes or added
garage/back-yard houses/apartments, there would be
less demand for giant apartment complexes and
there would be more social justice.

Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org