[permaculture] Planning Department encourages infill, offers tiny-house p...

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Wed Jul 1 09:55:45 EDT 2009

Larry, are we now recommending that people dig up their back yards and
plant more houses? Or was your article meant to be tongue in cheek?

In the Raleigh area we're having a lot of people recommending more "infill"
now. Every pocket park and bit of greenery is being eyed as a venue for
more housing units. Quality of life is going down month by month as we switch
over from trees to concrete.

I agree there's a problem at the edges. Farms are being gobbled up
wholesale for conversion to instant super-developments, centered around a lake,
clubhouse and shopping center. Thousand of units, all made of ticky tacky, and
new families to fill them.

What we really need is more birth control. The thought that the residents
of San Luis Obispo should do their patriotic duty and build an extra story
onto their house, or apartments in their back yards, so they can help house
all the new people being churned out, is kind of scary.

Mike Elvin